iPhone 4S (iOS 5) not yet counted: Google Android growing fast
Google’s popular mobile operating system growing fast, but Apple’s new smartphone market share contribution not yet counted. RIM and Microsoft shares decline.
A new quarterly report from comScore has been released, revealing the unstoppable growth of the Google Android operating system, and Apple’s steady gain too. According to the Internet marketing research company’s September 2011 mobile subscriber market share (for US market only), Google’s Android operating system has gained 4.6% last quarter, from June’s 40.2%, and now owns a total of 44.8% US smartphone market.
It is worth noting that Android is the operating system used by mobile phones manufactured by Samsung, LG, HTC and Motorola.
Apple’s iOS, the operating system used by the iPhone, gains an additional 0.8% US market share. As of September 2011, Apple reportedly owns the total of 27.4% market share. Apple’s new smartphone, the iPhone 4S, is not yet included in the percentage.
According to Apple, the iPhone 4S is the most successful iPhone yet, with a total of 1 million pre-orders in less than 24 hours, and the company has sold 4 million iPhone 4S in less than three days. It is highly possible that the iOS will show-off a more impressive gain in the next quarterly mobile market report.
However, Android’s latest innovation is also expected to create a momentum that will surely generate more growth. Samsung’s new smartphone, the Google Galaxy Nexus with the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update, will arrive in stores this month and will be sold by Verizon Wireless, the largest wireless carrier in United States based on the latest market share figure. Motorola, HTC and Samsung’s smartphones are also expected to receive the Android 4.0 update next year.
Research in Motion, the makers of the BlackBerry smartphones and Microsoft and its Windows Phone operating system, are the not-so-popular platforms in America, based on comScore’s Q3 report. Research in Motion has steadily lost market share, and Q3 is not an exception with a total of 4.6% decline, from June quarter’s 23.5% to 18.9% for the last quarter. Microsoft is also a victim of Apple and Google’s success with 0.2% decline, from June’s 5.8%, to 5.6% only for the September quarter.
Research in Motion and Microsoft are expected to release new smartphones this year and early next year. For Research in Motion, reports say the Canadian company will release new smartphones with the BBX operating system, while Microsoft’s new partner, Nokia, will release its first set of Windows Phone devices in Europe and Asia this month, and early next year in United States.
This report was originally posted on PopHerald.com as iPhone 4S (iOS 5) not yet counted: Google Android growing fast, under Gadgets and Mobile Category. Source: comScore
Sony Xperia T, TX, V and others getting Android Jelly Bean, soon!December 18th, 2012
BlackBerry 10 leak confirms similarity with Android?December 18th, 2012
Apple iPhone 5 sales in China reaches 2 millionDecember 18th, 2012
Nokia Lumia 920 software update arriving soon, to fix the PureView cameraDecember 17th, 2012
Exynos “security flaw” affecting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3?December 17th, 2012